Chocolate Beet Cake
Cuisine Healthy Category Recipes
- 1 1/2 cups flour (for a gluten free cake use 1/2 cup brown rice flour, 1/2 cup buckwheat flour and 1/2 cup tapioca starch)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 3/4 to 1 cup sugar (depending on your sweetness level)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 oil (light tasting, like sunflower oil)
- 1/2 cup cooked puréed beets
- 3/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- *In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine milk and vinegar and let curdle for 5 minutes.
- *In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients well.
- *In a medium bowl, whisk together oil, beets, vanilla, and milk mixture, then add to dry ingredients. Mix gently until just combined.
- *Oil a 10″ springform pan and pour in the cake batter.
- *Bake at 350F for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out reasonably clean. Don’t overbake!
- *Cool for 10 minutes on a rack then invert onto a plate. When completely cool, top it with your favorite chocolate frosting or ganache.